Anti-diarrhoea capsules, Loperamide 2mg (Imodium), for travellers' diarrhoea, available to buy online from Dr Fox.
- Reduces bowel spasm and frequency of diarrhoea
|Loperamide capsules 2mg||30 capsules||£5.50|
|Loperamide capsules 2mg||60 capsules||£7.25|
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail Tracked 24 Signed For (1-2 working days with tracking).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted. Use only UK home or work delivery address.
Returns and refunds - unwanted items can be returned within 14 working days for a full refund.
- Loperamide 2mg is antispasmodic used to treat travellers' diarrhoea.
- Take 2 capsules initially, then 1 capsule after each episode of diarrhoea.
- Read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects, cautions, and interactions with other drugs.
- Available from pharmacies without prescription.
How does loperamide work?
Loperamide reduces the spasm in the bowel and reduces the frequency of diarrhoea. It works best if started early in the diarrhoea. During diarrhoea, fluid is lost from the body. Fluids should be replaced by drinking 3-4 litres or 6 pints of fluid a day.
The antibiotic azithromycin also speeds recovery in travellers' diarrhoea.
Avomine, which is prescribed for travel sickness, could also be taken to reduce any associated vomiting which will help reduce fluid loss. This cannot be used if also taking azithromycin.
Loperamide should not be taken:
- When diarrhoea starts after a course of antibiotic.
- If diarrhoea is related to an inflammatory bowel condition( e.g Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis).
- Where there has been prolonged constipation before diarrhoea starts.
- Where the diarrhoea contains blood and there is a high fever.
- If you have liver disease.
- Not suitable for children.
- Should not be taken in pregnancy and breastfeeding women.
- Loperamide contains lactose.
Some other medications may slightly increase the dose of loperamide in your system:
- Ritonavir (for HIV).
- Quinidine (for abnormal heart rhythms or malaria).
- Itraconazole or ketoconazole (for fungal infections).
- Gemfibrozil (for high cholesterol).
There may be no side effects. Possible side effects include:
- Feeling sick(nausea), constipation, headache.
- Loperamide occasionally causes drowsiness or dizziness. If affected you should not drive, cycle, or operate machinery.
Take two capsules straight away. Then take one capsule after each episode of diarrhoea for up to 48 hours. The maximum number of capsules in a day is 6 (12mg). The usual amount is 3-4 capsules (6-8mg) daily. It should be stopped and a doctor consulted, if there is no improvement after 48 hours.
Patient Information Leaflet
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine and must be read before taking the medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine.
- Strides Pharma UK, 2022, Lomodine 2mg capsules: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 12 April 2023
- NICE, 2019, Diarrhoea - prevention and advice for travellers, accessed 15 January 2021
Recent Loperamide (Imodium) reviews
Ordered Loperamide 2mg Capsules as I was getting these on a repeat prescription from the doctor but allows the reorder to lapse as I used only when required. So ordered from Dr. Fox and they arrived very quickly and no problem to order.
A. Lowe Verified
Excellent Quality, worked well thanks.
P. Daly Verified
A superb standby when travelling
Excellent at stopping a runny tummy dead in its tracks.
B. Potter Verified
The order process
Choose medication, register, and pay
Dr Fox issues prescription online
Pharmacy team post medication direct