Avomine tablets (promethazine 25mg) to prevent and control travel sickness.
- Long journey: take the night before
- Short journey: take 1-2 hours before travel
|Travel sickness patches||Quantity||Cost|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||10 tablets||£6.20|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||20 tablets||£8.30|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||28 tablets||£10.55|
Prescription issued online - small prescription fee per order.
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£3.00|
|up to £50||£5.00|
|up to £100||£8.00|
Avomine tablets contain promethazine which belongs to a group of medicines called phenothiazines. Avomine is an anti-emetic (anti-sickness drug) which helps to prevent, and treat nausea and vomiting, including travel sickness, and vertigo.
Preventing travel sickness
The usual dose for adults is:
- Long journeys: take one tablet each night at bedtime starting the night before you travel.
- Short journeys: take one tablet one or two hours before travelling.
Treatment of travel sickness
Take one tablet as soon as you feel sick followed by a second tablet the same evening. Take a third tablet the next evening if necessary.
Nausea and vomiting due to other causes
One tablet each night is usually enough, but two or three tablets may be required by some patients. These can be taken at intervals during the day, but it is often not necessary for more than 4 tablets to be needed in any 24 hour period.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines Avomine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you experience any of the following side effects speak to your doctor immediately:
- severe rash, itching, swelling of the face, lips or mouth.
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
- irregular heartbeats, low blood pressure (light-headed feeling when standing).
If you notice any of the following side effects speak to your doctor or pharmacist:
- infections, fevers or sore throats which seem to go on a long time.
- unexplained bruising or nose-bleeds.
- if you develop a yellow colour of your skin, dark urine and yellowing of the whites of the eyes.
Other side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, restlessness, confusion, you may feel tired or sleepy.
- children may become over excited while taking this product.
- occasionally some people, especially the elderly, may experience blurred vision, dry mouth or have difficulty passing water.
- loss of appetite, upset stomach, nightmares.
- cramp or muscles twitching or jerking, or the muscles become rigid.
- unusual movements of the head and face muscles.
Do not take Avomine if you have or have had:
- an allergic reaction to promethazine, any phenothiazine or any of the ingredients (sodium metabisulphite, lactose - see patient leaflet for more details).
- taken medicines for depression, known as Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) within the last 14 days.
- CNS depression, people with CNS depression will seem sleepy or unconscious (including coma).
Take special care with Avomine and tell your doctor or pharmacist if you suffer with:
- glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye).
- heart problems.
- liver problems.
- kidney or bladder problems.
- a chest condition such as asthma or bronchitis.
- severe headaches with blurred vision, severe stomach pains with vomiting, dizziness, difficulty with keeping your balance, ringing in the ears or other ear problems as well as feeling sick.
- a bad cough.
- Reye's Syndrome or symptoms of Reye's Syndrome (including persistent vomiting, feeling tired or sleepiness).
Do not take Avomine for more than 7 days without contacting your doctor.
Avomine and taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
You must tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking any of the following medicines:
- anticholinergic agents.
- medicines to help you sleep (hypnotics).
- medicines for depression, mental illness or anxiety (tricyclic antidepressants, sedatives).
- medicines for crampy stomach pains, Parkinson's disease or bladder problems.
If you are having skin tests for allergy, do not take this medicine as it interferes with the results. You should stop taking this medicine at least 72 hours before the skin tests.
Avoid strong sunlight while taking this product as your skin may be more sensitive to the effect of the sun.
Taking with food and drink
While taking Avomine, you should avoid drinking alcohol as the tablets will add to the effects of alcohol.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breast-feeding your baby, you should not take Avomine, unless they have been recommended for you by a doctor.
If you are breast-feeding your baby, Avomine may cause your baby to be irritable and excited.
If you are having a pregnancy test, do not take this product as it interferes with the results.
Driving and operating machinery
These tablets may make you feel dizzy, sleepy, disorientated or confused or cause you to have a headache. You should not drive or operate machinery for the first few days, and until you are sure that you are not affected by these unwanted effects.
Patient information leaflet
The 'Patient Information Leaflet' supplied with medication must be read before use.Start order
Authored 25 November 2015
by Dr Tony Steele, MB ChB
Reviewed 04 January 2017 by Dr B. Babor, MB ChB
Last updated 16 January 2017
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“This online pharmacy not only looks professional and slick it does exactly that with its actual product supply and customer service - what a find.”8 January 2017 – Angus S., Inverness
“1st time I have ever ordered on line and was very happy with the service and how quick and easy it was to do”21 December 2016 – Bezza K., Kent
“Correct products delivered, on time and discreetly packed. Prices are always competitive. I have ordered on several occasions before and alway get the same great service”12 December 2016 – Ian G., Colchester
“Fantastic service from a great and reputable company.”07 December 2016 – Pete P., Macclesfield
“I don't know why I have never heard of this website before It's absolutely incredible. My transaction process was very hassle-free, the communication was great and I've got my malarial tablets for a fraction of the price if I'd gone to the doctor directly. I won't hesitate buying from Doctor Fox again”01 December 2016 – Mariah S., London
“Superb service as always. Have been a customer for some time now and Dr Fox has maintained the quality of care throughout.”22 November 2016 – Dr Keith W., Prudhoe
“Extremely satisfied with my whole dealing with Dr.Fox Fast efficient - problem free Thank you for being so easy to use”20 November 2016 – Mel E., Manchester
“Everything went absolutely smoothly Goods even arrived much earlier then could have been expected (Overseas). Fair price - and better then most competitors. Would recommed.”15 November 2016 – Kristian M., Denmark
“Fantastic.... service, products all delivered and tracking numbers provided, paid and 3 days later goods arrived in a discreet envelop.... by Royal mail sign for... Very happy with the whole service and transactions... thank you”10 November 2016 – Jamie G., Cheshire
“I have used Dr Fox on several occasions and have never had any reason for complaint right through from delivery to packaging and quality of product. A completely first class service that I would, and without hesitation, recommend to others.”04 November 2016 – Steve B., Dyfed
“First rate service no hassle to order, obtain the prescription and receive a next day delivery. Medical condition cleared quicker than had I had to wait to see my own GP.”28 October 2016 – Mrs H., Worcestershire
“I'm completely satisfied with the whole process from start to finish. Great prices, superb communication and rapid delivery....highly recommended”08 October 2016 – Davey W., London
“I've used Dr Fox a couple of times now for malaria tablets. On both occasions I received a fast and reliable service. The prices are very good too. No need to pay your GP for a private prescription or pay High Street Chemist prices. Highly recommended.”04 October 2016 – Pete M., Corsham
“My experience is of top customer service with fast deliveries of genuine products sold at the lowest price around. I haven't dealt with better and believe they are unmatched so unrivalled.”02 October 2016 – Jason J., Colchester
“Answered questionnaire, ordered product. Product is competitively priced and delivered speedily - absolutely no criticism of any kind from me - product works every time.”08 September 2016 – Lionel E., Wigan
“I have used Dr Fox three times now and I find the service easy to use, with good products and delivery usually by return. I also feel confident about using the site and believe that they would only market products that were of reputable origin and safe to use.”22 August 2016 – Robin S., London
“very cautious about buying medicines online but Dr Fox seemed a credible retailer with a good reputation. Thankfully that turned about to be true. Ordering is relatively quick (even quicker to do a repeat order) and simple. The service has been good and I've had no reason to contact them even after many orders.”21 August 2016 – Andy B., Reading
“Impressively fast service to Malta. Also very helpful when I needed to ask a question. Very highly recommended.”17 August 2016 – Anonymous
“As this was the first time i had bought online, i was wary. So i checked the batch number with the manufacturer to make sure my medicine was legitimate and it was. I will definitely use again.”17 April 2016 – Anonymous