Avomine tablets (promethazine 25mg) to prevent and control travel sickness.
- Long journey: take the night before
- Short journey: take 1-2 hours before travel
|Travel sickness patches||Quantity||Cost|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||10 tablets||£6.20|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||20 tablets||£8.30|
|Avomine 25mg (promethazine)||28 tablets||£10.55|
Prescription issued online - small prescription fee per order.
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£3.00|
|up to £50||£5.00|
|up to £100||£8.00|
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail 24 Signed For (1-4 working days).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted.
Avomine tablets contain promethazine which belongs to a group of medicines called phenothiazines. Avomine is an anti-emetic (anti-sickness drug) which helps to prevent, and treat nausea and vomiting, including travel sickness, and vertigo.
Preventing travel sickness
The usual dose for adults is:
- Long journeys: take one tablet each night at bedtime starting the night before you travel.
- Short journeys: take one tablet one or two hours before travelling.
Treatment of travel sickness
Take one tablet as soon as you feel sick followed by a second tablet the same evening. Take a third tablet the next evening if necessary.
Nausea and vomiting due to other causes
One tablet each night is usually enough, but two or three tablets may be required by some patients. These can be taken at intervals during the day, but it is often not necessary for more than 4 tablets to be needed in any 24 hour period.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines Avomine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you experience any of the following side effects speak to your doctor immediately:
- severe rash, itching, swelling of the face, lips or mouth.
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
- irregular heartbeats, low blood pressure (light-headed feeling when standing).
If you notice any of the following side effects speak to your doctor or pharmacist:
- infections, fevers or sore throats which seem to go on a long time.
- unexplained bruising or nose-bleeds.
- if you develop a yellow colour of your skin, dark urine and yellowing of the whites of the eyes.
Other side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, restlessness, confusion, you may feel tired or sleepy.
- children may become over excited while taking this product.
- occasionally some people, especially the elderly, may experience blurred vision, dry mouth or have difficulty passing water.
- loss of appetite, upset stomach, nightmares.
- cramp or muscles twitching or jerking, or the muscles become rigid.
- unusual movements of the head and face muscles.
Do not take Avomine if you have or have had:
- an allergic reaction to promethazine, any phenothiazine or any of the ingredients (sodium metabisulphite, lactose - see patient leaflet for more details).
- taken medicines for depression, known as Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) within the last 14 days.
- CNS depression, people with CNS depression will seem sleepy or unconscious (including coma).
Take special care with Avomine and tell your doctor or pharmacist if you suffer with:
- glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye).
- heart problems.
- liver problems.
- kidney or bladder problems.
- a chest condition such as asthma or bronchitis.
- severe headaches with blurred vision, severe stomach pains with vomiting, dizziness, difficulty with keeping your balance, ringing in the ears or other ear problems as well as feeling sick.
- a bad cough.
- Reye's Syndrome or symptoms of Reye's Syndrome (including persistent vomiting, feeling tired or sleepiness).
Do not take Avomine for more than 7 days without contacting your doctor.
Avomine and taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
You must tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking any of the following medicines:
- anticholinergic agents.
- medicines to help you sleep (hypnotics).
- medicines for depression, mental illness or anxiety (tricyclic antidepressants, sedatives).
- medicines for crampy stomach pains, Parkinson's disease or bladder problems.
If you are having skin tests for allergy, do not take this medicine as it interferes with the results. You should stop taking this medicine at least 72 hours before the skin tests.
Avoid strong sunlight while taking this product as your skin may be more sensitive to the effect of the sun.
Taking with food and drink
While taking Avomine, you should avoid drinking alcohol as the tablets will add to the effects of alcohol.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breast-feeding your baby, you should not take Avomine, unless they have been recommended for you by a doctor.
If you are breast-feeding your baby, Avomine may cause your baby to be irritable and excited.
If you are having a pregnancy test, do not take this product as it interferes with the results.
Driving and operating machinery
These tablets may make you feel dizzy, sleepy, disorientated or confused or cause you to have a headache. You should not drive or operate machinery for the first few days, and until you are sure that you are not affected by these unwanted effects.
Patient information leaflet
The 'Patient Information Leaflet' supplied with medication must be read before use.Start order
Authored 25 November 2015
by Dr Tony Steele, MB ChB
Reviewed 04 January 2017 by Dr B. Babor, MB ChB
Last updated 8 November 2017
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“I have been useing Dr fox for a few years, never had a problem delivery is fast and the best prices iv see on the Internet. I can't recommend highly enough.”20 November 2017 – Kevin P., Stoke on Trent
“The medicine I got at Dr Fox including the doctors online receipt and the post fee roundabout 30 less than in Germany. The box came 5 days after my order. Great deal, great service.”12 November 2017 – Simon M., Teisendorf
“Very easy to use web site,good description of goods excellen, price compared to high street price, very fast delivery.Will not hesitate to use again”27 October 2017 – Gordon R., Worksop
“The case was handled professionally and the delivery was quick. The product exactly as requested, highly recommended”24 October 2017 – Maciej M., London
“Dr. Fox is the perfect solution for my ED. Great service and pricing.”10 October 2017 – John B., Germany
“Absolutely fantasic. Excellent & prompt service all round including communication. Will definitely use Dr Fox again in the future. Many thanks”03 October 2017 – Denise B., London
“Excellent tablets which work very well with no adverse effects. I have now been using these for around a year. Discreet packaging, speedy delivery and excellent pricing make Dr Fox my first choice every time.”25 September 2017 – Dave B., Edinburgh
“As always, a secure, confidential, and ultra efficient service from the Dr Fox team, well done, and thanks.”22 September 2017 – A. C., Stirlingshire
“Excellent, speedy and professional service. I have used Dr Fox over two years and have found online ordering and delivery to be faultless.”03 September 2017 – Stephen C., Aberdeen
“Ordered one day ,there the next day. The website is easy to use and you do not have to keep filling in the same things, time after time. I also feel safe as the doctors continue to review you. Good price good product.”01 September 2017 – Terry M., Warwickshire
“All round first class from the Doctor to delivery, continual updates from the customers services and feeling that DR fox cares about his patients/ customers. I have recommended Dr Fox to my friends”30 August 2017 – Peter P., Crawley
“Great service. Ordered my goods and received them very quickly with no problems at all. Will definitely use your services again and I will be recommending yourselves to many people.”17 July 2017 – Keely D., Luton
“I have always found their customer service to be good, their prices to be competitive and delivery to be fast.”20 June 2017 – Anonymous
“Repeat prescriptions are easy to order. Log into your account (previously set up with initial order) 5'S I have dealt with customer services directly previously. Cannot fault them”12 June 2017 – Col H., Co Northampton