Spasmonal (alverine 60mg) and Spasmonal Forte (alverine 120mg) to treat diarrhoea, pain, and bloating in IBS is available to buy online from Dr Fox.Start order
|Alverine 60mg (generic Spasmonal)||100 hard gelatin capsules||£8.95|
|Alverine 60mg (generic Spasmonal)||200 hard gelatin capsules||£14.35|
|Alverine 120mg (generic Spasmonal)||60 hard gelatin capsules||£11.75|
|Alverine 120mg (generic Spasmonal)||120 hard gelatin capsules||£19.95|
|Spasmonal (alverine) 60mg||100 hard gelatin capsules||£22.45|
|Spasmonal (alverine) 60mg||200 hard gelatin capsules||£43.30|
|Spasmonal Forte (alverine) 120mg||60 hard gelatin capsules||£25.45|
|Spasmonal Forte (alverine) 120mg||120 hard gelatin capsules||£48.50|
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail Tracked 24 Signed For (1-2 working days with tracking).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted. Use only UK home or work delivery address.
Returns and refunds - unwanted items can be returned within 14 working days for a full refund.
- Spasmonal contains the antispasmodic alverine which relaxes the muscle in the bowel wall and treats the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Spasmonal is available in 60mg and 120mg strengths. Lower cost generic versions (alverine) also available.
- Read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects, cautions, and interactions with other drugs.
'Spasmonal' and 'Spasmonal Forte' are brand names - both are also available as a generic medicine: alverine 60mg and alverine 120mg, with one generic manufacturer branding their version as 'Audmonal' and 'Audmonal Forte'.
Generic medicines contain the same active ingredient as branded originals, and are usually available at lower cost.
Is Spasmonal suitable for anyone?
Most people with IBS are able to take Spasmonal.
It is important to be sure that your symptoms are caused by IBS and not something more serious.
If any of the following apply, check with your GP before using Spasmonal:
- Changed or new symptoms especially in women.
- Over 40 years old with first symptoms.
- New symptoms of blood in your stool or motions.
- Feeling nauseous or loss of appetite
- Losing weight without dieting.
- Pale and tired.
- Severely constipated.
- Running a high temperature (fever).
- Travelled abroad recently.
- Are or may be pregnant.
- Associated urinary symptoms.
A few people may be allergic to antispasmodics like Spasmonal (alverine) and Colofac (mebeverine). Reactions vary from skin rashes, facial swelling to very rarely anaphylaxis. If you have reacted to any antispasmodic in the past, do not try a different one as the reaction is likely to be the same.
Spasmonal and generic alverine hard capsules both contain gelatin.
Spasmonal is licensed to treat adults and children from 12 years of age, however Dr Fox can supply treatment to adults only.
Taking Spasmonal with other medicines
Spasmonal is suitable to take with most other medications, but do not take at the same time as other antispasmodics, e.g. Colofac (mebeverine), Buscopan (hyoscine).
Can Spasmonal be taken safely in pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding?
In general, all medication should be avoided whilst trying for pregnancy, and when pregnant or breastfeeding.
The manufacturer advises not to take Spasmonal (alverine) during pregnancy or whilst breastfeeding.
Side effects of Spasmonal (alverine)
Most people experience no side effects at all from taking Spasmonal or Spasmonal Forte.
If you are having a liver blood test it may affect the results, so tell your doctor that you are taking Spasmonal.
Very rarely liver inflammation may develop, leading to yellowed whites of the eyes and jaundice. If this happens, stop taking Spasmonal, and consult your doctor. The liver inflammation will settle quickly on stopping the Spasmonal.
Spasmonal may occasionally cause dizziness. Do not drive or use machinery if affected.
Further information on possible side effects can be found in the manufacturer's patient information leaflet.
How to take Spasmonal
- Spasmonal (alverine 60mg): 1 or 2 capsules taken up to 3 times a day.
- Spasmonal Forte (alverine 120mg): 1 capsule is taken up to 3 times a day.
Other measures to help symptoms of IBS
Diarrhoea and bloating - reduce insoluble fibre like bran, wholegrain bread, and brown rice. Reduce caffeine, alcohol, fizzy drinks, and gas-producing foods like beans and cabbage.
Constipation - try adding more soluble fibre like oats and linseed, or soluble fibre supplements like Fybogel (ispaghula). Increase the soluble fibre gradually or bloating and wind may get worse. It may take several weeks for optimal benefits.
Make sure that you drink plenty of fluids.
Regular physical activity is also helpful for the bowels. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate activity at least 5 days per week.
For further information see NHS - IBS - Diet, lifestyle and medicines.
Patient Information Leaflet
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine and must be read before taking the medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine.
- Mylan, 2018, Spasmonal 60mg Hard Capsules: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 28 January 2022
- Mylan, 2018, Spasmonal Forte 120mg Hard Capsules: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 28 January 2022
- BNF/NICE, 2017, ALVERINE CITRATE, accessed 28 January 2022
- NICE, 2021, Irritable bowel syndrome, accessed 28 January 2022
The order process
Choose medication, register, and pay
Dr Fox issues prescription online
Pharmacy team post medication direct