Confidential treatment for hair loss prevention and reversal for men: Regaine extra strength and Propecia / finasteride 1mg tablets.
|Hair loss treatment||Quantity||Cost|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||28 tablets||£14.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||56 tablets||£24.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||84 tablets||£35.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||168 tablets||£65.00|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||28 tablets||£42.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||56 tablets||£81.70|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||84 tablets||£108.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||168 tablets||£214.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls (one month)||£29.50|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls x 3 (three months)||£66.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls x 6 (six months)||£122.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls (one month)||£29.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls x 3 (three months)||£64.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls x 6 (six months)||£118.00|
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private or NHS paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£2.00|
|up to £50||£4.00|
|up to £100||£5.00|
|Finasteride 1mg||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
|Branded Propecia||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
Hereditary hair loss
Hair loss is a natural process. About 50% of men have significant hair loss by the age of 40. Most men with hair loss are entirely healthy. Early male pattern hair loss often runs in families. Hair loss is not often caused by a hormone imbalance or lack of testosterone.
Rapid hair loss
Rapid hair loss over a period of less than a year should be investigated. A doctor may want to carry out thyroid and other tests. Hair loss in patches, or associated with irritation and soreness of the scalp, also needs to be investigated.
A good general overview about male pattern hair loss can be found at DermNet New Zealand, and links to further information about male and female hair loss can be found at the bottom of this page.
Hair loss treatments
Dr Fox can prescribe 2 treatments for hair loss to men only:
Men can use both Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets and Regaine topical at the same time.
- New lower cost generic Propecia called finasteride 1mg now available – medically identical to branded Propecia.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg are daily tablets, only available on prescription.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets are for men only.
Response to Propecia/finasteride 1mg
Hair growth usually starts to improve after about three months, and is usually noticeable after 4-6 months. Two thirds of men who take Propecia will benefit from renewed hair growth. Maximum benefit is seen after one to two years (see study details).
How does Propecia/finasteride 1mg work
Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets reduce the levels of the hormone DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) and this in turn stimulates new hair growth.
Men at any stage of male pattern hair loss are likely to benefit.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg is most effective for hair loss over the top of the scalp (vertex).
Propecia/finasteride 1mg has NOT been proven to:
- Reverse a receding frontal hairline.
- Reverse hair loss which is ONLY in the temple regions (the area at sides of the forehead).
- Restore hair to entirely bald areas.
Clinical studies were conducted on men aged 18 to 41 with mild to moderate hair loss, but not complete hair loss.
The best results of Propecia/finasteride 1mg treatment are seen after one to two years, at which time hair growth is likely to be at its thickest.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg side effects and cautions
- If hair loss has been rapid and recent (less than a year), or where there are symptoms of serious illness, such as unexplained weight loss, fevers, persistent diarrhoea, or excessive fatigue, a doctor should be consulted.
- Where hair loss is patchy or irregular, or hair comes out in clumps, or there is scalp inflammation the scalp should be examined.
- Blood tests carried out to detect prostate cancer (PSA) can give misleading results when Propecia/finasteride 1mg is being taken.
- If treatment is stopped, the beneficial effects begin to reverse by six months and return to baseline by 9 to 12 months.
- There have been reports of depression and, in rare cases, suicidal thoughts in men taking finasteride 1mg.
- If low mood or depression develops stop treatment and consult your doctor straight away.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg side effects are usually mild. Reduced libido and erectile dysfunction are possible. See patient leaflet for full list of side effects.
Minoxidil 5% (Regaine extra strength)
- Regaine topical is applied to the scalp twice daily.
- Regaine Extra Strength is available as a foam or scalp solution and is for for men only.
Response to treatment
With Regaine, hair becomes fuller and thicker. 2 out of 3 people who used Regaine show re-growing of hair at 8 months. In user surveys 4 in 5 reported a slowing or stopping of hair loss (see study details).
How Regaine works
Regaine contains the active ingredient Minoxidil. The exact way in which Minoxidil works is not fully understood. It increases blood flow to hair follicles reducing hair loss and stimulating new growth. This produces thicker, longer, more-visible hair. Very little of the active ingredient is absorbed into the body.
There is no hard and fast answer. With Regaine Extra Strength results may be seen after 8 weeks. Clinical studies have shown that for Regaine Regular Strength or Regaine Gel for men regrowth can occur as early as 16 weeks. But remember that everyone is different so you need to be patient. Studies suggest that Regaine should be tried for 6-12 months before deciding whether to continue.
The extra strength is for use only by men. Men can use Propecia (finasteride) tablets at the same time.
Regaine Extra Strength preparations
Regaine Extra Strength Solution and Foam Extra Strength for men, contains 5% minoxidil, one pack of either being enough for one month's use.
Regaine side effects and cautions
- You may notice a temporary increase in hair loss in the first 2-6 weeks. This is entirely normal and is good news – it shows that your hair is shifting from a dormant phase to an active growing phase.
- Regaine occasionally causes skin irritation that usually resolves when the treatment is stopped.
- Very little of the active ingredient, minoxidil, is absorbed into the circulation and therefore general side effects are not expected. You should stop using Regaine and see a doctor if hypotension (low blood pressure) is detected or if you experience chest pain, rapid heartbeat, faintness or dizziness, sudden unexplained weight gain, swollen hands or feet or persistent redness.
- People with known heart disease should contact their regular doctor before using Regaine Extra Strength for men.
- Very occasionally Regaine may cause unwanted hair growth in areas where it is applied regularly by accident. Follow instructions about use.
Regaine cannot be posted outside mainland UK. Both solution and foam are restricted postal items. Please do not order if you are outside mainland UK.
Dr Fox supplies treatment for hair loss on prescription – you are required to answer a short medical questionnaire before your order can be completed.
Authored 18 February 2010by Dr Tony Steele
Reviewed 15 August 2017 by Dr B. Babor, Dr A. Wood, Dr P. Hunt
Last updated 31 July 2018
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“Excellent service quality and communications as always Happy to recommend”16 July 2018 – Alice S., Northamptonshire
“Great service. Product delivered very quickly and efficiently. This is the second time I have ordered from this company and I have no hesitation to order from them again. Highly recommend them.”08 July 2018 – Keely D., Luton
“Really speedy service, easy to get what I needed, easy to use website and payment. Overall just very happy with this site”28 June 2018 – Bee Q., Manchester
“Very satisfied with everything,there is/was nothing to moan about and I can think of nothing to improve this service.”13 June 2018 – Dennis F., Aberporth
“Brilliant Easy requesting medications, easy site to manoeuvre around, quick preparation and speedy posting Brilliant”03 June 2018 – Angela S., Rotherham
“Fantastic service fast delivery good communication can't fault the Dr Fox experience I've used them 3/4 times now and never had an issue.”29 May 2018 – Louise D., London
“From ordering to delivery no complaints, everything went smoothly and very quick, no complaints.”24 May 2018 – Denis C., Croydon
“The service was excellent, everything was fine, recieved within 3 working days”20 May 2018 – William P., Doncaster
“Used this site a couple of times now and it's so good Saves me the time of having to attend an appointment with my gp and delivery is really fast and reliable”17 May 2018 – Anonymous
“Quick delivery, genuine product, discreet packaging, good price too.”13 May 2018 – Colin P., Bangor
“really good service, medication was top quality and will be a regular customer, thanks”29 April 2018 – Avash S., London
“Great service once my order was accepted my goods arrived in two days Will use service again”24 April 2018 – Tracey H., Essex
“Always get excellent quality of service.Easy ordering and fast delivery.A safe method of purchasing this product.”21 April 2018 – Tony J., Liverpool
“I buy Sildenafil from Dr Fox and I am delighted by the great price and rapid delivery. I know Boots is now offering over the counter Viagra - but the price is over five times what I pay from Dr Fox. I can also assure you that the pills are extremely effective”18 April 2018 – GB G., Nottingham
“No problem I didn’t expect the delivery to be so quick hence I missed it No problem really I arranged a redelivery easily”12 April 2018 – Steven G., Loughborough