Confidential treatment for hair loss prevention and reversal for men: Regaine extra strength and Propecia / finasteride 1mg tablets.
|Hair loss treatment||Quantity||Cost|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||28 tablets||£15.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||56 tablets||£25.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||84 tablets||£39.00|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||168 tablets||£75.60|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||28 tablets||£42.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||56 tablets||£81.70|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||84 tablets||£108.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||168 tablets||£214.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls (one month)||£29.50|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls x 3 (three months)||£66.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength 5% Minoxidil||73mls x 6 (six months)||£122.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls (one month)||£29.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls x 3 (three months)||£64.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution for men 5% Minoxidil||60mls x 6 (six months)||£118.00|
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private or NHS paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£3.00|
|up to £50||£5.00|
|up to £100||£8.00|
|Finasteride 1mg||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
|Branded Propecia||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
Hereditary hair loss
Hair loss is a natural process. About 50% of men have significant hair loss by the age of 40. Most men with hair loss are entirely healthy. Early male pattern hair loss often runs in families. Hair loss is not often caused by a hormone imbalance or lack of testosterone.
Rapid hair loss
Rapid hair loss over a period of less than a year should be investigated. A doctor may want to carry out thyroid and other tests. Hair loss in patches, or associated with irritation and soreness of the scalp, also needs to be investigated.
Further information on male pattern hair loss.
Hair loss treatments
Dr Fox can prescribe 2 treatments for hair loss to men only:
- Finasteride 1mg tablets (Propecia)
- Minoxidil 5% (Regaine extra strength topical)
Men can use both Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets and Regaine topical at the same time.
- New lower cost generic Propecia called finasteride 1mg now available – medically identical to branded Propecia.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg are daily tablets, only available on prescription.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets are for men only.
Response to Propecia/finasteride 1mg
Hair growth usually starts to improve after three months. Two thirds of men who take Propecia will benefit from renewed hair growth. Maximum benefit is seen after two years (see study details).
How does Propecia/finasteride 1mg work
Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets reduce the levels of the hormone DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) and this in turn stimulates new hair growth.
Men at any stage of male pattern hair loss are likely to benefit.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg is most effective for hair loss over the top of the scalp (vertex).
Propecia/finasteride 1mg has NOT been proven to:
- Reverse a receding frontal hairline.
- Reverse hair loss which is ONLY in the temple regions (the area at sides of the forehead).
- Restore hair to entirely bald areas.
Clinical studies were conducted on men aged 18 to 41 with mild to moderate hair loss, but not complete hair loss.
The best results of Propecia/finasteride 1mg treatment are seen after two years, at which time hair growth is likely to be at its thickest.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg side effects and cautions
- If hair loss has been rapid and recent (less than a year), or where there are symptoms of serious illness, such as unexplained weight loss, fevers, persistent diarrhoea, or excessive fatigue, a doctor should be consulted.
- Some men have reported episodes of depressive illness in association with the use of Propecia/finasteride 1mg for male pattern hair loss. Some men also reported having suicidal thoughts.
- Where hair loss is patchy or irregular, or hair comes out in clumps, or there is scalp inflammation the scalp should be examined.
- Blood tests carried out to detect prostate cancer (PSA) can give misleading results when Propecia/finasteride 1mg is being taken.
- If treatment is stopped, the beneficial effects begin to reverse by six months and return to baseline by 9 to 12 months.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg side effects are usually mild. Reduced libido and erectile dysfunction are possible. See patient leaflet for full list of side effects.
Minoxidil 5% (Regaine extra strength)
- Regaine topical is applied to the scalp twice daily.
- Regaine Extra Strength is available as a foam or scalp solution and is for for men only.
Response to treatment
With Regaine, hair becomes fuller and thicker. 2 out of 3 people who used Regaine show re-growing of hair at 8 months. In user surveys 4 in 5 reported a slowing or stopping of hair loss (see study details).
How Regaine works
Regaine contains the active ingredient Minoxidil that works by increasing the supply of blood and nutrients to the hair follicles, strengthening existing hair and stimulating secondary growth. This produces thicker, longer, more-visible hair. Very little of the active ingredient is absorbed into the body.
There is no hard and fast answer. With Regaine Extra Strength results may be seen after 8 weeks. Clinical studies have shown that for Regaine Regular Strength or Regaine Gel for men regrowth can occur as early as 16 weeks. But remember that everyone is different so you need to be patient.
The extra strength is for use only by men. Men can use Propecia (finasteride) tablets at the same time.
Regaine Extra Strength preparations
Regaine Extra Strength Solution and Foam Extra Strength for men, contains 5% minoxidil, one pack of either being enough for one months use.
Regaine side effects and cautions
- You may notice a temporary increase in hair loss in the first 2-6 weeks. This is entirely normal and is good news – it shows that your hair is shifting from a dormant phase to an active growing phase.
- Regaine occasionally causes skin irritation that usually resolves when the treatment is stopped.
- Very little of the active ingredient, minoxidil, is absorbed into the circulation and therefore general side effects are not expected. You should stop using Regaine and see a doctor if hypotension (low blood pressure) is detected or if you experience chest pain, rapid heart beat, faintness or dizziness, sudden unexplained weight gain, swollen hands or feet or persistent redness.
- People with known heart disease should contact their regular doctor before using Regaine Extra Strength for men.
- Very occasionally Regaine may cause unwanted hair growth in areas where it is applied regularly by accident. Follow instructions about use.
Regaine cannot be posted outside the UK. Both solution and foam are restricted postal items. Please do not order if you are outside the UK.
Dr Fox supplies treatment for hair loss on prescription – you are required to answer a short medical questionnaire before your order can be completed.
Authored 18 February 2010 by Dr Tony Steele, MB ChB
Reviewed 18 November 2016 by Dr B. Babor, MB ChB
Last updated 26 May 2017
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“Dr. Fox is an easy to navigate website;the communication is excellent ; the service is quick and discreet. Last but not least, the prices are very reasonable.”02 May 2017 – Anonymous
“very pleased, fast delivery, work just as well as brand names, good customer service, what more could you ask for thanks dr fox”24 April 2017 – Frank L., Leeds
“Dr Fox is a reputable company so had no hesitation in ordering from the company excellent service and quick response to completing my form and easy to navigate the system and the prices for my product I think are the cheapest on the internet The delivery was excellent so would order again”11 April 2017 – Keith A., Newcastle
“I have used their service many many times over the last 2 years and am a very happy customer. Always on time and deliver exactly what was ordered.”02 April 2017 – Paul J., London
“We were a bit concerned about this site and worried of its reliability. Those doubts were unfounded and found Dr Fox to be genuine and trust worthy. Highly recommend using this site and fantastic prices.”24 March 2017 – Alan Y., West Lothian
“always get what you ordered every time. I will use again and again and again no one else comes close for price quality and delivery.”22 March 2017 – M. W., Oxon
“I've always been slightly dubious about ordering from online pharmacie but was exceptionally impressed by the excellent service and quailty of product I received . Well done guys and thank you.”12 March 2017 – Philip A., Bristol
“Thoroughly recommended, it's easy to navigate the website. Prices are reasonable and ordering simple. Delivery is fast and packaging very good.”13 February 2017 – Alan R., Bury St. Edmunds
“Fantastic service, discrete and great prices. Can not recommend highly enough. Will be using again.”09 February 2017 – Ian V., Chester
“Easy ordering process and delivery as expected. Will be buying from Dr Fox again.”01 February 2017 – Matt M., Farnham
“I have used Dr Fox twice now and on both occasions they have been excellent. Easy to use and very speedy deliveries.”18 January 2017 – George H., Prestwick
“This online pharmacy not only looks professional and slick it does exactly that with its actual product supply and customer service - what a find.”8 January 2017 – Angus S., Inverness
“1st time I have ever ordered on line and was very happy with the service and how quick and easy it was to do”21 December 2016 – Bezza K., Kent
“Correct products delivered, on time and discreetly packed. Prices are always competitive. I have ordered on several occasions before and alway get the same great service”12 December 2016 – Ian G., Colchester
“Fantastic service from a great and reputable company.”07 December 2016 – Pete P., Macclesfield
“I don't know why I have never heard of this website before It's absolutely incredible. My transaction process was very hassle-free, the communication was great and I've got my malarial tablets for a fraction of the price if I'd gone to the doctor directly.”01 December 2016 – Mariah S., London
“Superb service as always. Have been a customer for some time now and Dr Fox has maintained the quality of care throughout.”22 November 2016 – Dr Keith W., Prudhoe
“Extremely satisfied with my whole dealing with Dr.Fox Fast efficient - problem free Thank you for being so easy to use”20 November 2016 – Mel E., Manchester