Hair loss prevention and reversal for men using Propecia (finasteride 1mg) tablets and Regaine Extra Strength available from Dr Fox Pharmacy by completing a short health assessment online.
All medication supplied is UK licensed.
|Hair loss treatment||Quantity||Cost|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||28 tablets||£12.20|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||56 tablets||£21.50|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||84 tablets||£31.20|
|Finasteride 1mg (generic)||168 tablets||£58.80|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||28 tablets||£42.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||56 tablets||£81.70|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||84 tablets||£108.40|
|Propecia 1mg (Merck)||168 tablets||£214.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength (5% minoxidil)||73mls (one month)||£29.50|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength (5% minoxidil)||73mls x 3 (three months)||£66.00|
|Regaine Foam Extra strength (5% minoxidil)||73mls x 6 (six months)||£122.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution (5% minoxidil)||60mls (one month)||£29.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution (5% minoxidil)||60mls x 3 (three months)||£64.00|
|Regaine Extra strength solution (5% minoxidil)||60mls x 6 (six months)||£118.00|
|Sons minoxidil 5% solution (generic Regaine)||60mls (one month)||£19.95|
|Sons minoxidil 5% solution (generic Regaine)||60mls x 3 (three months)||£48.75|
|Sons minoxidil 5% solution (generic Regaine)||60mls x 6 (six months)||£89.90|
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private or NHS paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£2.00|
|up to £40||£3.00|
|Pharmacy||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
|Lloyds Pharmacy Online Doctor||£39.00||£69.00||£99.00||£139.00|
|Branded Propecia||28 tablets||56 tablets||84 tablets||168 tablets|
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail 24 Signed For (1-3 working days with tracking).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted. Use only UK home or work delivery address.
Returns and refunds - unwanted items can be returned within 14 working days for a full refund.
Hereditary hair loss (androgenic alopecia)
Hair loss is a natural process. About 50% of men have significant hair loss by the age of 50. Most men with hair loss are entirely healthy. Early male pattern hair loss often runs in families. Hair loss is not often caused by a hormone imbalance or lack of testosterone.
A good general overview about male pattern hair loss can be found at DermNet New Zealand, and links to further information about male hair loss can be found at the bottom of this page.
Rapid hair loss
Rapid hair loss over a period of less than a year should be investigated. It is unlikely to be caused by hereditary hair loss so see your GP who may want to carry out thyroid and other blood tests. Hair loss in patches, or associated with irritation and soreness of the scalp, also needs to be investigated by your GP or a dermatologist.
Hair loss treatments
Dr Fox can prescribe 2 treatments for male pattern hair loss:
Men can use both Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets and Regaine topical at the same time. They should not be used for hair loss from other causes e.g. chemotherapy, head shaving, total alopecia (loss of hair over entire body).
- Branded Propecia and lower cost generic Propecia - called finasteride - are both available.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg are daily tablets, only available on prescription.
- Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets are for men only.
Response to Propecia/finasteride 1mg
Hair growth usually starts to improve after about three months, and is usually noticeable after 4-6 months. Two thirds of men who take Propecia will benefit from renewed hair growth. Maximum benefit is seen after one to two years (see study details).
How does Propecia/finasteride 1mg work
Propecia/finasteride 1mg tablets reduce the levels of the hormone DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) and this in turn stimulates new hair growth.
Men at any stage of male pattern hair loss are likely to benefit.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg is most effective for hair loss over the top of the scalp (vertex).
Propecia/finasteride 1mg has NOT been proven to:
- Reverse a receding frontal hairline.
- Reverse hair loss which is ONLY in the temple regions (the area at sides of the forehead).
- Restore hair to entirely bald areas.
Clinical studies were conducted on men aged 18 to 41 with mild to moderate hair loss, but not complete hair loss.
The best results of Propecia/finasteride 1mg treatment are seen after one to two years, at which time renewed hair growth is likely to be at its thickest.
Propecia/finasteride 1mg side effects and cautions
- If hair loss has been rapid and recent (less than a year), or where there are symptoms of serious illness, such as unexplained weight loss, fevers, persistent diarrhoea, or excessive fatigue, your GP should be consulted.
- Where hair loss is patchy or irregular, or hair comes out in clumps, or there is scalp inflammation the scalp should be examined by your GP or a dermatologist.
- If you are having a PSA test, to detect prostate cancer, tell your doctor that you are taking Propecia/finasteride, as the results can be misleading when Propecia/finasteride is being taken.
- If treatment is stopped, the beneficial effects begin to reverse by 6 months and return to baseline by 9-12 months.
- Pregnant women should not come into contact with Propecia/finasteride tablets. It may affect the baby's genital organ development. For this reason tablets are film-coated.
- Propecia/finasteride side effects are usually mild. Reduced libido and erectile dysfunction are possible.
- If low mood or depression develops, stop treatment and consult your doctor straight away.
See patient leaflet for full list of side effects.
Minoxidil 5% (Regaine Extra Strength)
- Regaine topical is applied to the scalp (hair roots) twice daily.
- Regaine Extra Strength is available as a foam or scalp solution and is for men only.
Regaine foam is not licensed for use in men over 49 years, but Regaine solution is licensed for men up to 65 years. In practice men up to 65 years and even beyond this age can use either one.
Response to treatment
With Regaine, hair becomes fuller and thicker. Around 60% of men using Regaine twice daily experienced an increased scalp coverage after 48 weeks. In user surveys 9 in 10 men said they kept or regrew their hair after 16 weeks.
How Regaine works
Regaine contains the active ingredient Minoxidil. The exact way in which Minoxidil works is not fully understood. It increases blood flow to hair follicles, reducing hair loss and stimulating new growth. This produces thicker, longer, more visible hair. Very little of the active ingredient is absorbed into the body.
With Regaine Extra Strength results may be seen after 8 weeks, but remember that everyone is different so you need to be patient. Studies suggest that Regaine should be tried for 6-12 months before deciding whether to continue.
Men can use Propecia (finasteride) tablets at the same time.
Regaine Extra Strength preparations
Regaine Extra Strength Solution and Foam for men, contains 5% minoxidil, one pack of either being enough for one month's use. Using more than the standard dose does not give better results and increases the risk of side effects.
Regaine side effects and cautions
- You may notice a temporary increase in hair loss in the first 2-6 weeks. This is entirely normal.
- Regaine occasionally causes skin irritation that usually resolves when the treatment is stopped.
- Very little of the active ingredient, minoxidil, is absorbed into the circulation and therefore general side effects are not expected. You should stop using Regaine and see a doctor if you develop faintness or dizziness, you have signs of low blood pressure, or if you experience chest pain, rapid heartbeat, sudden unexplained weight gain, swollen hands or feet, or persistent redness.
- People with known heart disease or raised blood pressure even if treated, should contact their regular doctor before using Regaine Extra Strength for men.
- Very occasionally Regaine may cause unwanted hair growth in areas where it is applied regularly by accident. Always wash your hands thoroughly after applying and follow instructions about use.
- Regaine Extra Strength should not be used by women.
- Do not use if your scalp is inflamed or you have another skin condition.
- Do not use if also using any other scalp creams, ointments, or lotions.
- Do not use under dressings or bandages.
- Do NOT apply more than the recommended dose - this will not improve the effectiveness but risks absorption with an increased risk of side effects.
- Regaine must be kept away from children as swallowing it could lead to serious heart toxicity.
Regaine cannot be posted outside mainland UK. Both solution and foam are restricted postal items. Please do not order if you are outside mainland UK.
Dr Fox supplies medication for hair loss on prescription - you are required to answer a short medical questionnaire before your order can be completed.
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose medication, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Pharmacy team post medication direct
“Great quick shipping and item was exactly what I ordered at half the price of others, thanks”14 January 2021 – Mark G., Thetford
“Excellent, quick service and delivery.”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“On time and as advertised.”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“Gr8 service”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“Great service, always spot on, products great.”14 January 2021 – David C., Milton Keynes
“Great and personal customer service with quick and efficient delivery”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“Extremely prompt and reliable”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“Excellent quick service ,”14 January 2021 – Gillian L., Scotland
“Took ten days to receive UK delivery although paid additional for express delivery”14 January 2021 – Anonymous
“Excellent device and products”14 January 2021 – R H., Glasgow
“Does what it says on the tin”14 January 2021 – Anonymous