Hay fever nasal sprays
Antihistamine and steroid nasal sprays for hay fever relief available to buy online from Dr Fox Pharmacy. Can be combined with eye drops and antihistamine tablets.Start order
|Hay fever nasal spray||Quantity||Cost|
|Beconase Aqueous nasal spray (beclometasone dipropionate)||1 x 22gm spray, 200 doses||£6.40|
|Beconase Aqueous nasal spray (beclometasone dipropionate)||2 x 22gm spray, each 200 doses||£10.80|
|Beconase Aqueous nasal spray (beclometasone dipropionate)||3 x 22gm spray, each 200 doses||£13.20|
|Dymista nasal spray (azelastine and fluticasone)||1 bottle (23gm)||£22.00|
|Dymista nasal spray (azelastine and fluticasone)||2 bottles (23gm x 2)||£39.60|
|Ryaltris nasal spray (olopatadine and mometasone)||1 bottle (30 mls)||£17.40|
|Ryaltris nasal spray (olopatadine and mometasone)||2 bottles (60 mls)||£29.90|
|Avamys nasal spray (fluticasone)||1 spray 120 doses||£13.10|
|Avamys nasal spray (fluticasone)||2 sprays each 120 doses||£19.80|
|Avamys nasal spray (fluticasone)||3 sprays each 120 doses||£29.20|
|Rhinolast nasal spray (azelastine 0.1%)||1 x 22ml spray||£14.40|
|Rhinolast nasal spray (azelastine 0.1%)||2 x 22ml spray||£24.80|
|Rhinolast nasal spray (azelastine 0.1%)||3 x 22ml spray||£36.20|
|Azelair nasal spray (azelastine 0.15%)||1 x 20ml||£15.80|
|Azelair nasal spray (azelastine 0.15%)||2 x 20ml||£28.20|
|Azelair nasal spray (azelastine 0.15%)||3 x 20ml||£39.90|
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£2.00|
|up to £40||£3.00|
If you have your own private paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail Tracked 24 Signed For (1-2 working days with tracking).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted. Use only UK home or work delivery address.
Returns and refunds - unwanted items can be returned within 14 working days for a full refund.
About nasal sprays for hay fever
Nasal sprays are used on their own or combined with tablets and eye drops. They control sneezing and runny nose. Very little active drug is absorbed into the body.
There are three types of nasal sprays available from Dr Fox:
- Steroid nasal spray: Avamys and Beconase, need to be used for a few days before they start to work. They are for continuous daily use through the hay fever season. NOT to be used together or at the same time as Dymista or Ryaltris nasal sprays. An antihistamine tablet can be combined with a steroid nasal spray, if the nasal spray alone is not completely effective.
- Antihistamine nasal spray: Rhinolast and Azelair work within 15 minutes and can be used on an as needed basis, not more that twice a day. NOT to be used together or at the same time as Dymista or Ryaltris nasal sprays.
- Combination nasal sprays containing an antihistamine and a steroid in one spray. They are more convenient and likely to be more effective than a steroid or an antihistamine spray on its own. Dymista and Ryaltris should NOT be used together or at the same time as other hay fever nasal sprays.
Using both a steroid nasal spray and an antihistamine spray, individually or combined in Dymista or Ryaltris, is usually more effective than either one alone.
How to use a nasal spray
Specific instructions on how to use nasal sprays are included in patient leaflets supplied with sprays. See also video from AsthmaUK - how to use a nasal spray.
1. Remove dust cap which protects the nozzle and keeps it clean
2. For first use or if you have not used the spray for several days, shake the bottle and press the pump until you get a fine spray.
3. Blow your nose gently before using. Close one nostril & put nozzle in the other nostril. Use left hand for right nostril, and right hand for left nostril. Tilt head forward slightly & keep bottle upright. Aim bottle at outside wall of nostril. Breathe in slowly & squirt a spray into nostril.
4. Remove the nozzle from this nostril and breathe out through your mouth.
5. Swap hands and repeat steps 3 & 4 for the other nostril. If the required dose is two sprays to each nostril, swap hands again, and repeat for first nostril, and finish by swapping hands and repeating the spray for the second nostril.
6. To clean the spray - take off dust cap, and also nozzle if possible, and wash in warm water.
Possible side effects from nasal sprays
Troublesome side effects are unlikely from using a nasal spray. The most common are a bitter taste in the mouth, slight nasal irritation and very occasional nose bleeds. If using a steroid nasal spray regularly there is a small risk of developing thrush within the nose. If you think you may have thrush, stop the nasal spray and consult your regular doctor.
Beconase, Avamys, Dymista, and Ryaltris contain steroids which on rare occasions could damage the eye. Any vision problems or disturbances should be checked by an optician.
More information in the patient information leaflets supplied by the manufacturers with your medication.
Alternative treatments for hay fever
If there is asthma linked to the hay fever, montelukast tablets may be prescribed. If hay fever triggers asthma which doesn't settle with your usual asthma treatment, please consult your regular doctor.
Where there are severe hay fever symptoms which are not responding to antihistamine tablets with nasal sprays and eye drops, a short course of a few days of steroid tablets can bring things back under control. Dr Fox cannot provide this. Please consult your regular doctor.
Many hay fever sufferers used to have an annual long acting steroid injection of Kenalog (triamcinolone). This is very effective at damping down the overactive immune response causing hay fever, for the duration of the hay fever season. However, it is no longer recommended by NICE or licensed as a hay fever treatment, as there are health risks from lowering your immune responses, and there can also be serious long term side effects. Some private clinics do, however, still offer this injection 'off label' after a careful assessment of personal risks.
Pollen desensitisation using allergen immunotherapy as either a vaccine or oral preparation is available from some hospital specialists. There is a potential for life threatening anaphylactic reactions during desensitisation treatments and so they are rarely used.
How to avoid exposure to pollen
- Using vaseline around your nostrils. This can trap pollen and stop it getting into your nose.
- Avoid grass cutting and places where pollen counts are known to be high.
- Vacuum regularly, preferably using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.
- Keep pets out of the house during the hay fever season.
- Stay indoors when pollen counts are high. You can check the pollen forecast or there are many helpful apps available.
- Keep windows and doors closed.
- Wraparound sunglasses can reduce pollen contact with the eyes.
- Shower after going outside.
- NHS - Steroid nasal sprays
- AllergyUK - Hay Fever and Allergic Rhinitis
- Ryaltris (manufacturer's website)
Hay fever nasal sprays FAQs
How do I choose which spray to use?
This is usually a matter of trying and seeing which works best for you. Give each spray at least a week before trying a different one. Using a steroid and antihistamine together can give better relief than either one on its own.
|Product||Active ingredient dose||Antihistamine||Steroid||Sprays in each nostril per dose||Times per day||Speed of action|
|Rhinolast||Azelastine 280mcg||Yes||No||1||2||15 minutes|
|Azelair||Azelastine 760mcg||Yes||No||2||1 or 2||15 minutes|
|Avamys||Fluticasone 110mcg||No||Yes||2||1||8 hours - several days|
|Beconase||Beclometasone 200mcg||No||Yes||2||2||Several days|
|Dymista||Azelastine 250mcg & fluticasone 100mcg||Yes||Yes||1||2||15 minutes/several days|
|Ryaltris||Olopatadine 600mcg & mometasone 25mcg||Yes||Yes||2||2||30 minutes/several days|
Note: 100mcg fluticasone and 200mcg of mometasone are equivalent to 200mcg beclometasone
Do nasal sprays contain preservatives?
Avamys, Beconase, Ryaltris, and Dymista contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride. Rhinolast and Azelair do not contain preservative.
See also hay fever FAQs page.
Patient Information Leaflets
The Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) is the leaflet included in the pack with a medicine and must be read before taking the medicine. It is written for patients and gives information about taking or using a medicine.
This page written and reviewed by doctors
- GlaxoSmithKline, 2023, Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- GlaxoSmithKline, 2023, Avamys: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- Mylan, 2022, Rhinolast: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- Mylan, 2023, Dymista: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- Mylan, 2023, Azelair: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- Glenmark, 2023, Ryaltris: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 13 November 2023
- NICE CKS, 2023, Allergic rhinitis, accessed 13 November 2023
- NICE CKS, 2022, Intranasal corticosteroid treatment, accessed 13 November 2023
Recent Hay fever nasal sprays reviews
I am very happy at the process from start to finish and the product is working for me as I suffer from seasonal rhinitis. I will certainly use this service and product again!
A. CRAMB Verified
Fast delivery and really helps with my sinus issues will be reordering another would recommend from Dr fox
Excellent product. Great symptom relief. Prompt delivery and good price.
Best for allergy
Helps give me sense of smell and stops wheeze in throat
The order process
Choose medication, register, and pay
Dr Fox issues prescription online
Pharmacy team post medication direct