Vitaros (alprostadil 3mg/g) cream applied to tip of the penis to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Alternative to tablets
- 52% of men report improved erections
- Requires refrigeration
Vitaros cream requires refrigeration and needs to be collected from a local pharmacy. Please visit our partner site www.fastdr.com and find a local pharmacy.
Vitaros cream and erectile dysfunction
About erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is common, affecting up to 4 out of 10 men over 40. ED has many causes, including diabetes, high cholesterol and poor circulation. All men with ED need to tell their GP about it. Tests may be needed and treatments of underlying cause(s) may be needed.
ED is often stressful and can lead to depression and relationship problems. GPs can help with these issues and counselling may be needed. There are links at bottom of this page to further information.
About Vitaros Cream
Vitaros cream is an alternative to tablets for erectile dysfunction (impotence). Vitaros is applied to the head of the penis by a dropper 5 to 30 minutes before sexual activity. The active ingredient, alprostadil, is absorbed locally into the skin enhancing erections usually for 1 to 2 hours.
Vitaros is not suitable for all men: Dr Fox consultations check for suitability. Men must read the information on this page and the patient information leaflet supplied with Vitaros, before requesting Vitaros.
In a 12 week study 52% of men report improved erections when using Vitaros, compared with 20% using a placebo (dummy cream).
- Vitaros cream is not for use with Viagra or sildenafil, Cialis, Levitra, or Spedra tablets. Leave a gap of at least 24 hours (48 hours for Levitra) between cream and tablets. The combination could lead to harmful erections (priapism – see below). The combination could also increase side effects of tablets.
- If men have intercourse with a fertile woman of childbearing age whilst using Vitaros, they need to use condoms or ensure the woman is on effective contraception. There is a possible risk of abnormal pregnancies using Vitaros. The exact level of risk is not known. Condoms also protect against potential risks to ongoing pregnancies and prevent vaginal irritation and reduce sexually transmitted disease.
- Men who experience erections for 4 hours or more (priapism) should seek immediate medical attention. Prompt treatment is needed to avoid permanent harm to the penis. In studies of Vitaros priapism occurred in about 1 in 4,000 men.
- Vitaros should not be kept out of a fridge (2 to 8 celcius) for more than 3 days.
Vitaros is not suitable in men who:
- have a drop in blood pressure when going from lying/sitting to standing or experience dizziness or fainting
- are allergic to alprostadil
- have a condition that might result in a long-lasting erections, such as sickle cell anaemia or trait, thrombocythemia, polycythemia, multiple myeloma, or leukaemia
- have an abnormally formed penis
- have an inflammation or infection of the penis
- are prone to a venous thrombosis (blood clots)
- have a hyperviscosity syndrome (thickened blood) which could result in a long-lasting erection
- have been told not to have sex for health reasons such as heart problems or a recent stroke
- have a partner who is pregnant, breast feeding or of childbearing potential unless a condom is used
- are taking drugs to prevent blood clots, as there may be an increased risk for bleeding or blood in the urine.
How to use Vitaros
Vitaros cream is applied to the head of the penis using a dropper as described in the manufacturer's patient information leaflet. Correct technique for use is important.
A single dose applicator delivers 300mcg of alprostadil in 100mg (a few drops) of cream. Vitaros is supplied in packs of four.
Vitaros should NOT be used more than once in 24 hours and NOT more than 2-3 times weekly. More frequent use risks increased side effects, particularly irritation and soreness.
Vitaros and other medicines
Vitaros should also NOT be used with other injectable or locally applied ED treatments such as Caverjet or Muse. They contain the same active ingredient, alprostadil, and there would be an increased risk of priapism.
Vitaros may be less effective when taken in combination with treatments for high blood pressure, decongestants and appetite suppressants. In combination with high blood pressure medication, Vitaros use may increase symptoms of dizziness and fainting, especially in the elderly.
Side effects of Vitaros
Men who experience side effects with the commonly used tablet treatments for erectile dysfunction may find Vitaros an effective alternative.
Very little of the active ingredient (alprostadil) is absorbed into the circulation. The cream works directly by contact with the skin of the penis. There are unlikely to be significant generalised side effects.
Common side effects (affecting more than 1 in 10 patients):
- mild to moderate local aching, burning or pain and redness of the penis
- penile skin swelling (oedema)
- inflammation of the head of the penis (balantitis)
- penile tingling, throbbing numbness, burning
- mild vaginal burning or itching and inflammation, in partners
Less common side effects (up to 1 in 100 patients):
- prolonged erection for more than 4 hours
- low blood pressure or rapid pulse
- pain at the application site or in extremity
- urethral stenosis (narrowing of urinary outflow)
- increase in sensitivity
- penile itching
- genital rash
- scrotal pain
- fullness in genitals
- lack of sensation to penis
- urinary tract inflammation
Driving and using machines
Vitaros can increase dizziness or fainting. Do not drive or operate machinery within 1 to 2 hours after administration.
Vitaros is newly licensed (02/08/2013). Please message our doctors about adverse events or report them through the MHRA's Yellow Card Scheme.
- ED frequently asked questions
- NHS Choices: erectile dysfunction
- www.vitaros.co.uk (manufacturer Takeda's website)
Tablets for ED
Tablets for ED are also available from Dr Fox (separate consultation).Buy on www.fastdr.com
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“I buy Sildenafil from Dr Fox and I am delighted by the great price and rapid delivery. I know Boots is now offering over the counter Viagra - but the price is over five times what I pay from Dr Fox. I can also assure you that the pills are extremely effective”18 April 2018 – GB G., Nottingham
“No problem I didn’t expect the delivery to be so quick hence I missed it No problem really I arranged a redelivery easily”12 April 2018 – Steven G., Loughborough
“As usual everything first class , easy to use website, first medications and a furst class service too..well done once again Dr. FOX. thankyou”07 April 2018 – Anthony M., Lincolnshire
“Always reliable never had a problem usef them for 10 years for sumatriptam for migraine”01 April 2018 – Sam R., Doncaster
“Very straight forward to order & advised at all times on the delivery which was received on time. Excellent service.”25 March 2018 – Peter J., St Leonards on Sea
“We are often told that is risky buying medicines on the Internet, well please let me assure you that buying from Dr fox is totally risk free and so easy, I've used Dr fox for the last few years and it really is the way to go with brilliant products and a brilliant service, so please shop with confidence at Dr fox.”19 March 2018 – Raymond S., Chorley
“Fast service with good prices. UK pharmacy which is professional and you can always be confident”15 March 2018 – Michael M., London
“Just used Dr Fox for the first time. Brilliant service. Will definitely use them again for my required medication.”23 February 2018 – Steve B., Devon
“Efficient and timely. The product was effective and I would recommend”18 February 2018 – Anonymous
“Entirely hassle free transaction. I would not hesitate to recommend using Dr Fox. Indeed, I already have made a recommendation to one of my work colleagues. So simple to arrange my meds and they get delivered to my door. Perfect”07 February 2018 – Jay R., Northampton
“Everything done very professionally and efficiently from the initial consultation process to delivery”04 February 2018 – Alan J., Leicester
“Such a trustworthy on line store. It was recommended to me and I have recommended it to others, with no hesitation. Choice is good, prices excellent and I know my delivery will arrive within a day or 2. Thank you Dr Fox”25 January 2018 – Helen H., Notts
“Very quick response from the doctors and delivery. Only 3 days from order to delivery. You can't find that type of service when ordering from abroad .only in the UK you can”22 January 2018 – Antony Glen H., Brighton