Chloroquine and/or Proguanil anti-malaria tablets for trips of up to 12 months.Start order
How to buy online
- Read medical information about malaria tablets
- Answer medical questions to check for eligibility
- Reviewed by doctors - posted from UK pharmacy
Chloroquine 250mg tablets and Proguanil 100mg tablets are available separately and also as a combined pack – further details below.
|Malaria prophylaxis||Quantity (trip length)||Cost|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||12 chloroquine 84 proguanil (1 week trip)||£14.30|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||14 chloroquine 98 proguanil (2 week trip)||£15.60|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||16 chloroquine 112 proguanil(3 week trip)||£17.10|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||18 chloroquine 126 proguanil (4 week trip)||£18.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||20 chloroquine 140 proguanil (5 week trip)||£19.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||22 chloroquine 154 proguanil (6 week trip)||£20.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||26 chloroquine 182 proguanil (8 week trip)||£24.10|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||34 chloroquine 238 proguanil (12 week trip)||£29.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||62 chloroquine 434 proguanil (6 month trip)||£52.90|
|Chloroquine 250mg/Proguanil 100mg||114 chloroquine 798 proguanil (1 year trip)||£98.10|
|Chloroquine 250mg||12 tablets (1 week trip)||£5.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg||14 tablets (2 week trip)||£6.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||16 tablets (3 week trip)||£7.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||18 tablets (4 week trip)||£8.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||20 tablets (5 week trip)||£9.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||22 tablets (6 week trip)||£10.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||26 tablets (8 week trip)||£11.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||34 tablets (12 week trip)||£12.50|
|Chloroquine 250mg||62 tablets (6 month trip)||£15.00|
|Chloroquine 250mg||114 tablets (1 year trip)||£23.00|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||84 tablets (1 week trip)||£11.05|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||98 tablets (2 week trip)||£12.20|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||112 tablets (3 week trip)||£13.40|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||126 tablets (4 week trip)||£14.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||140 tablets (5 week trip)||£15.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||154 tablets (6 week trip)||£16.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||182 tablets (8 week trip)||£21.20|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||238 tablets (12 week trip)||£25.90|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||434 tablets (6 month trip)||£46.30|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||798 tablets (1 year trip)||£86.70|
Prescription issued online - small prescription fee per order.
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£3.00|
|up to £50||£5.00|
|up to £100||£8.00|
About Chloroquine and/or Proguanil
Chloroquine is taken at a dose of two 250mg tablets weekly for malaria prevention. Malaria parasites in many parts of the world are resistant to Chloroquine, and it is now rarely the recommended prophylaxis. Travellers can find up-to-date information about which tablets are recommended for different countries at the NHS Scotland website Fit for Travel by following the links to malaria and malaria maps for each country.
Where chloroquine is recommended, it is most often used in combination with proguanil. When chloroquine and proguanil are taken together, the adult dose is two tablets of chloroquine each week, and two 100mg tablets of proguanil each day. Chloroquine together with proguanil is usually supplied in weekly packs, each pack containing fourteen chloroquine tablets and two proguanil tablets.
Proguanil, which is almost never used on its own for malaria prevention, is best known under its trade name of Paludrine. Chloroquine is supplied in the UK under its trade name of Avloclor.
Obtaining malaria tablets online
Dr Fox supplies a range of malaria tablets following an online consultation. We supply medicines only for over 18s. Further information about malaria prevention in children. A full range of malaria medicines are available for children and infants, but not online.
When obtaining malaria tablets online, it is important to be sure that the correct tablets are requested – see recommendations at the NHS Scotland Fit for Travel website. Always use only UK regulated websites, when obtaining medicines online. Obtaining medicines once abroad may be risky, as fakes are possible.Start order
Chloroquine 250mg (Avloclor)
Licensed for prophylaxis in UK – see the patient information leaflet of Avloclor for full details of how to take, side effects, and other manufacturer’s information:
Chloroquine Patient Information Leaflet
- Trade name: Avloclor.
- Adult dose is two 250mg tablets taken once a week.
- Start one week before entering a malaria area, throughout stay, and for 4 weeks afterwards.
- Take with food. Take on the same day each week, preferably at the same time of day.
- Missed doses should be taken as soon as remembered. Do not take two doses at the same time. Complete the course.
- Heartburn and indigestion medicines may reduce the absorption of chloroquine and should be taken at least two hours before or after taking chloroquine.
- Commonest side effects include: nausea, diarrhoea, headache, rashes, skin itch, blurred vision, hair loss, dizziness, mood change, and sensitivity or seizures.
- If chloroquine is taken long term or above recommended dose, it could affect the eyes, leading to patchy vision. Eye examinations and blood tests are required if chloroquine is taken very long term (for a year or more).
- People with significant kidney disease (not including occasional urinary infections) or liver disease require assessment and advice before taking chloroquine.
- Chloroquine could worsen psoriasis.
- Not normally suitable for those with epilepsy or seizures, or a family history of idiopathic epilepsy.
- Toxic in overdose, special care required – keep out of reach of children.
- Usually considered safe in pregnancy. Seek advice from a doctor or specialist travel clinic.
Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)
Proguanil is better known under its trade name, Paludrine. Proguanil is licensed for malaria prophylaxis. For full details of side effects, interactions and other manufacturer’s information see:
Proguanil Patient Information Leaflet
- Adult dose is 200mg daily (two 100mg tablets once daily). Take tablets at the same time each day.
- Can be used continuously for a period of 5 years and more.
- Start one week before exposure, and continued throughout exposure and for 4 weeks afterwards. Complete the course.
- Take with water after food and at the same time each day. Forgotten doses should be taken as soon as remember. However, if it close to the time for the next dose, miss-out or skip a dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Common known side effects include, anorexia, nausea, diarrhoea, constipation, skin itch and mouth ulcers.
- May interact with prescription medicines including the anticoagulant, warfarin, and this may result in bleeding. Extra blood monitoring may be required.
- People with a diagnosis of significant kidney disease should be fully assessed prior to starting proguanil.
- Generally considered safe in pregnancy, however folate supplements are advised. Seek advice from a doctor or specialist travel clinic.
Chloroquine/Proguanil (Paludrine/Avloclor) combined packs
Chloroquine/Proguanil packs are two malaria prophylaxis regimes combined together (Paludrine/Avloclor): Chloroquine (Paludrine) is a daily tablet, Proguanil (Avloclor) is a weekly tablet.
Notes on malaria prevention
Some types of travel, particularly ‘rough travel’ in remote areas, carries a higher malaria risk. Risks of malaria may also vary depending on the time of year, usually increasing in wet seasons.
Take malaria tablets exactly as prescribed and complete full courses, including in the case of chloroquine and proguanil, 4 weeks of treatment after exposure. Read manufacturer’s information supplied with tablets and follow instructions carefully.
Malaria symptoms can take more than 4 weeks to develop and in some cases can occur up to a year after infection. Symptoms of headache, fever, joint pains and vomiting should be reported promptly to a doctor who should be made aware of previous malaria exposure.Start order
Authored 03 April 2016
by Dr Tony Steele
Reviewed 14 August 2017 by Dr B. Babor, Dr A. Wood, Dr P. Hunt
Last updated 8 September 2017
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose treatment, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Medicine posted direct from pharmacy
“Excellent, speedy and professional service. I have used Dr Fox over two years and have found online ordering and delivery to be faultless.”03 September 2017 – Stephen C., Aberdeen
“Ordered one day ,there the next day. The website is easy to use and you do not have to keep filling in the same things, time after time. I also feel safe as the doctors continue to review you. Good price good product.”01 September 2017 – Terry M., Warwickshire
“All round first class from the Doctor to delivery, continual updates from the customers services and feeling that DR fox cares about his patients/ customers. I have recommended Dr Fox to my friends”30 August 2017 – Peter P., Crawley
“Great service. Ordered my goods and received them very quickly with no problems at all. Will definitely use your services again and I will be recommending yourselves to many people.”17 July 2017 – Keely D., Luton
“I have always found their customer service to be good, their prices to be competitive and delivery to be fast.”20 June 2017 – Anonymous
“Repeat prescriptions are easy to order. Log into your account (previously set up with initial order) 5'S I have dealt with customer services directly previously. Cannot fault them”12 June 2017 – Col H., Co Northampton
“Easy to order items. Always kept up to date with progress of order from approval through to delivery. Excellent service every time.”30 May 2017 – Colin W., Co Durham
“Dr. Fox is an easy to navigate website;the communication is excellent ; the service is quick and discreet. Last but not least, the prices are very reasonable.”02 May 2017 – Anonymous
“very pleased, fast delivery, work just as well as brand names, good customer service, what more could you ask for thanks dr fox”24 April 2017 – Frank L., Leeds
“Dr Fox is a reputable company so had no hesitation in ordering from the company excellent service and quick response to completing my form and easy to navigate the system and the prices for my product I think are the cheapest on the internet”11 April 2017 – Keith A., Newcastle
“I have used their service many many times over the last 2 years and am a very happy customer. Always on time and deliver exactly what was ordered.”02 April 2017 – Paul J., London
“We were a bit concerned about this site and worried of its reliability. Those doubts were unfounded and found Dr Fox to be genuine and trust worthy. Highly recommend using this site and fantastic prices.”24 March 2017 – Alan Y., West Lothian
“always get what you ordered every time. I will use again and again and again no one else comes close for price quality and delivery.”22 March 2017 – M. W., Oxon
“I've always been slightly dubious about ordering from online pharmacie but was exceptionally impressed by the excellent service and quailty of product I received . Well done guys and thank you.”12 March 2017 – Philip A., Bristol
“Thoroughly recommended, it's easy to navigate the website. Prices are reasonable and ordering simple. Delivery is fast and packaging very good.”13 February 2017 – Alan R., Bury St. Edmunds
“Fantastic service, discrete and great prices. Can not recommend highly enough. Will be using again.”09 February 2017 – Ian V., Chester
“Easy ordering process and delivery as expected. Will be buying from Dr Fox again.”01 February 2017 – Matt M., Farnham
“I have used Dr Fox twice now and on both occasions they have been excellent. Easy to use and very speedy deliveries.”18 January 2017 – George H., Prestwick