Chloroquine and/or Proguanil anti-malaria tablets for trips of up to 12 months.Start order
|Malaria prophylaxis||Quantity (trip length)||Cost|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||84 tablets (1 week trip)||£11.05|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||98 tablets (2 week trip)||£12.20|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||112 tablets (3 week trip)||£13.40|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||126 tablets (4 week trip)||£14.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||140 tablets (5 week trip)||£15.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||154 tablets (6 week trip)||£16.50|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||182 tablets (8 week trip)||£21.20|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||238 tablets (12 week trip)||£25.90|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||434 tablets (6 month trip)||£46.30|
|Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)||798 tablets (1 year trip)||£86.70|
Dr Fox supplies medicine on prescription and charges a small prescription fee based on the order value of each prescription.
Prescriptions are issued by our doctors online and sent electronically to our pharmacy.
If you have your own private paper prescription please post to our pharmacy (details).
Dr Fox prices are 25%–50% lower than other UK online clinics.
|Order value||Prescription fee|
|up to £10||£1.00|
|up to £20||£2.00|
|up to £40||£3.00|
UK delivery only: £2.90 per consultation via Royal Mail 24 Signed For (1-3 working days with tracking).
Parcel forwarding services are not permitted. Use only UK home or work delivery address.
Returns and refunds - unwanted items can be returned within 14 working days for a full refund.
About Chloroquine and/or Proguanil
Chloroquine is taken at a dose of two 250mg tablets weekly for malaria prevention. Malaria parasites in many parts of the world are resistant to Chloroquine, and it is now rarely the recommended prophylaxis. Travellers can find up-to-date information about which tablets are recommended for different countries at the NHS Scotland website Fit for Travel by following the links to malaria and malaria maps for each country.
Where chloroquine is recommended, it is most often used in combination with proguanil. When chloroquine and proguanil are taken together, the adult dose is two tablets of chloroquine each week, and two 100mg tablets of proguanil each day. Chloroquine together with proguanil is usually supplied in weekly packs, each pack containing fourteen chloroquine tablets and two proguanil tablets.
Proguanil, which is almost never used on its own for malaria prevention, is best known under its trade name of Paludrine. Chloroquine is supplied in the UK under its trade name of Avloclor.
Obtaining malaria tablets online
Dr Fox supplies a range of malaria tablets following an online consultation. We supply medicines only for over 18s. Further information about malaria prevention in children. A full range of malaria medicines are available for children and infants, but not online.
When obtaining malaria tablets online, it is important to be sure that the correct tablets are requested – see recommendations at the NHS Scotland Fit for Travel website. Always use only UK regulated websites, when obtaining medicines online. Obtaining medicines once abroad may be risky, as fakes are possible.
Chloroquine 250mg (Avloclor)
Licensed for prophylaxis in UK – see the patient information leaflet of Avloclor for full details of how to take, side effects, and other manufacturer’s information:
Chloroquine Patient Information Leaflet
- Trade name: Avloclor.
- Adult dose is two 250mg tablets taken once a week.
- Start one week before entering a malaria area, throughout stay, and for 4 weeks afterwards.
- Take with food. Take on the same day each week, preferably at the same time of day.
- Missed doses should be taken as soon as remembered. Do not take two doses at the same time. Complete the course.
- Heartburn and indigestion medicines may reduce the absorption of chloroquine and should be taken at least two hours before or after taking chloroquine.
- Commonest side effects include: nausea, diarrhoea, headache, rashes, skin itch, blurred vision, hair loss, dizziness, mood change, and sensitivity or seizures.
- If chloroquine is taken long term or above recommended dose, it could affect the eyes, leading to patchy vision. Eye examinations and blood tests are required if chloroquine is taken very long term (for a year or more).
- People with significant kidney disease (not including occasional urinary infections) or liver disease require assessment and advice before taking chloroquine.
- Chloroquine could worsen psoriasis.
- Not normally suitable for those with epilepsy or seizures, or a family history of idiopathic epilepsy.
- Toxic in overdose, special care required – keep out of reach of children.
- Usually considered safe in pregnancy. Seek advice from a doctor or specialist travel clinic.
Avloclor (chloroquine 250mg) no longer available from Dr Fox.
Proguanil 100mg (Paludrine)
Proguanil is better known under its trade name, Paludrine. Proguanil is licensed for malaria prophylaxis. For full details of side effects, interactions and other manufacturer’s information see:
Proguanil Patient Information Leaflet
- Adult dose is 200mg daily (two 100mg tablets once daily). Take tablets at the same time each day.
- Can be used continuously for a period of 5 years and more.
- Start one week before exposure, and continued throughout exposure and for 4 weeks afterwards. Complete the course.
- Take with water after food and at the same time each day. Forgotten doses should be taken as soon as remember. However, if it close to the time for the next dose, miss-out or skip a dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Common known side effects include, anorexia, nausea, diarrhoea, constipation, skin itch and mouth ulcers.
- May interact with prescription medicines including the anticoagulant, warfarin, and this may result in bleeding. Extra blood monitoring may be required.
- People with a diagnosis of significant kidney disease should be fully assessed prior to starting proguanil.
- Generally considered safe in pregnancy, however folate supplements are advised. Seek advice from a doctor or specialist travel clinic.
Chloroquine/Proguanil (Paludrine/Avloclor) combined packs
Chloroquine/Proguanil packs are two malaria prophylaxis regimes combined together (Paludrine/Avloclor): Chloroquine (Paludrine) is a daily tablet, Proguanil (Avloclor) is a weekly tablet.
Chloroquine/Proguanil no longer available from Dr Fox.
Notes on malaria prevention
Some types of travel, particularly ‘rough travel’ in remote areas, carries a higher malaria risk. Risks of malaria may also vary depending on the time of year, usually increasing in wet seasons.
Take malaria tablets exactly as prescribed and complete full courses, including in the case of chloroquine and proguanil, 4 weeks of treatment after exposure. Read manufacturer’s information supplied with tablets and follow instructions carefully.
Malaria symptoms can take more than 4 weeks to develop and in some cases can occur up to a year after infection. Symptoms of headache, fever, joint pains and vomiting should be reported promptly to a doctor who should be made aware of previous malaria exposure.
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals, 2016, Avloclor: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 03 October 2019
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals, 2016, Paludrine: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 03 October 2019
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals, 2016, Paludrine/Avloclor: Summary of Product Characteristics, accessed 03 October 2019
The order process
Answer short medical questionnaire
Choose medication, register, and pay
Doctor issues prescription online
Pharmacy team post medication direct
“I had very good experience with them Five Stars service Thanks”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“Great experience as always”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“Great fast service”28 June 2020 – Steve C., Maidstone
“Quick response time and order delivery...”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“Straightforward online service with speedy delivery.”28 June 2020 – Jeremy B., Cambridge
“It was a very good service really appreciate”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“All excellent”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“Excellent service AAA plus”28 June 2020 – Anon56 F., Berliner
“Wow amazing service I bought the 50 mg And now think I need 75 mg to get a better and longer errestions”28 June 2020 – Anonymous
“All excellent”28 June 2020 – Anonymous