Dr Deborah Lee
MB ChB, MFFP, MRCGP, DRCOG, Dip GUM, Dip Colp, LOC Med Ed
Sexual and Reproductive Health Specialist, Medical Writer, GMC no. 3129913
Having worked for many years in the NHS, mostly as Lead Clinician within an integrated Community Sexual Health Service, Dr Deborah Lee now works as a health and medical writer, with an emphasis on women's health, including medical content for Dr Fox pharmacy. She has published several books and remains passionate about all aspects of medicine and sexual health.
After qualifying from University of Southampton Medical School in 1986, Dr Lee trained as a GP and after a number of years specialised in Sexual & Reproductive Health (S&RH).
S&RH is a very broad speciality which includes for example: Gynaecology and Medical Gynaecology, all types and aspects of contraceptive care including coils and implants, dealing with unplanned pregnancies, abnormal smears, screening and treating STIs in both males and females, Young People's Sexual Health, Sexual Assault, and in particular Menopause Care - which has been her special interest. Dr Lee set up and ran her own specialist menopause clinic.
During this time, Dr Lee wrote extensively, and had numerous medical publications, as well as working as sub editor for a medical journal. She has also written articles for The Huffington Post under the pseudonym Daisy Mae.
Medical education and training has also been a large part of Dr Lee's professional career. She has been a Contraception & Sexual Health Trainer, a Faculty Examiner, and a Training Programme Director.
- Training to insert Implanon – Trends in Urology, Gynaecology & Sexual Health
- Training to insert intrauterine devices – Trends in Urology, Gynaecology & Sexual Health
- Hormonal contraception: new developments and future prospects – Trends in Urology, Gynaecology & Sexual Health
- Deborah Lee, Timothy Hillard and Amanda Hillard. From Contraception to Menopause: Preliminary Data from a Longitudinal Study with the Levonorgestrel IUS (LNG-IUS). Presented to The British Menopause Society Annual Conference, Bournemouth, June 2007 – Journal of the British Menopause Society (won first prize poster exhibit).
- Cerazette and HRT – The Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care
- Training to fit intrauterine devices / intrauterine systems for general practitioners: is there an alternative method of service delivery? – The Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care
- Meeting demand for comprehensive sexual health needs: the experience within a primary care setting in the UK. Short communication presented to The European Society of Contraception, May 2006 Istanbul – European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care
- Training to insert intrauterine devices – Trends in Urology Gynaecology & Sexual Health
- Implanon and Alopecia – The Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care
- Clinical Dilemma: carrying out an abortion in a teenager without parental consent – Hospital Doctor
- Sex on the Rates: Memoirs of a Family Planning Doctor (Book Review) – British Medical Journal
- Family planning training for the primary care team: Reversing the trends of 'sexual-ill health' – British Journal of General Practice
- What Constitutes Unprotected Sex? – The Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care